Thursday, April 3, 2025
No menu items!

Cops probe govt tender scam involving RM1.69mil in losses

Must Read

Government Project Scam: Contractor Loses RM64,200

The Latest Case

In the latest case, police said a contractor received a WhatsApp message to supply cable wires, followed by a contract to supply power station machines.

Background

Police have launched investigations into a scam inviting contractors to submit tenders for government projects, with losses exceeding RM1.69 million since January. Kota Kinabalu police chief Kasim Muda said 35 reports had been lodged, with the latest case involving a contractor invited to submit an offer for the supply of “ecoflow power station” machines to a government department.

The Scam

The contractor lost RM64,200 after a person posing as a government official asked the contractor to transfer the money for the purchase of the machine. The victim initially received a WhatsApp message offering a tender to supply cable wires, followed by a contract to supply the machine to the department in question.

The victim agreed to the tender; to appear convincing, the suspect provided government procurement documents and a letter of acceptance. The suspect also provided a phone number for a supplier who had purportedly sold the machine to the department previously, making the transaction appear legitimate.

The Victim’s Experience

Trusting the suspect, the victim ordered six machines and transferred RM64,200 to the purported supplier’s account after contacting the number given. The victim also received an invoice via WhatsApp and was assured that the machines would be delivered directly to the department.

However, the victim grew suspicious after receiving an additional order request from the same individual. The victim then attempted to contact the alleged supplier again but was unable to reach them, finding their number blocked. This raised suspicions, leading the victim to believe they had been scammed, and they subsequently filed a report for further action.

Conclusion

The government project scam is a serious issue that has resulted in significant financial losses for contractors. It is essential for contractors to be cautious when receiving unsolicited offers or tenders for government projects. Contractors should verify the authenticity of the offers and ensure that they are dealing with legitimate government officials.

FAQs

Q: How many reports have been lodged in connection with the scam?
A: 35 reports have been lodged.

Q: How much has been lost in the scam?
A: Losses exceed RM1.69 million since January.

Q: What was the latest case involving a contractor?
A: The latest case involved a contractor invited to submit an offer for the supply of “ecoflow power station” machines to a government department.

Q: How did the victim lose money in the scam?
A: The victim lost RM64,200 after transferring the money to the purported supplier’s account.

Latest News

5 Seconds Of Summer’s Michael Clifford releases debut single

Michael Clifford's Solo Debut: A New Chapter for 5 Seconds of Summer A New Era for Michael Clifford Singer-songwriter Michael Clifford...

More Articles Like This