Israel and Hezbollah Continue to Clash Amid Growing Tensions
Warning Issued for Lebanese Civilians in South
The Israeli military said its air strikes targeted weapons storage facilities in southern Beirut. (AP pic)
JERUSALEM: An Israeli strike killed five emergency workers in southern Lebanon, the health ministry said today, as Israel pressed its major offensive against the Iran-backed Hezbollah and warned Lebanese civilians in the south not to return home.
Lebanon’s caretaker prime minister, Najib Mikati, said contacts were underway between the US and France with the aim of reviving a ceasefire, an apparent reference to diplomatic efforts to clinch a truce which Israel rejected last month.
Biden-Netanyahu Call Reignites Concerns of Escalation
US president Joe Biden and Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke yesterday about potential Israeli retaliation against Iran, in a call both sides described as positive.
Israel says its Lebanon offensive aims to secure the return home of tens of thousands of Israelis who evacuated northern Israel due to cross-border rockets launched by Hezbollah, which opened fire a year ago to support Hamas in Gaza.
Israel’s Ground Operations Continue to Displace Civilians
Lebanon’s health ministry said the Israeli strike overnight hit a civil defence centre in the village of Derdghaiya, some 10km from the border, killing five paramedics and rescue workers.
There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military.
Humanitarian Crisis Worsens as Death Toll Mounts
Israeli strikes have killed more than 2,100 people in Lebanon over the last year, the vast majority of them since Sept 23, when Israel dramatically scaled up its assault with widespread air strikes before later sending soldiers in on the ground.
The toll does not distinguish between civilians and combatants.
International Efforts to Revive Ceasefire
Mikati, in a statement on X, said contacts are “taking place between the US and France with the aim of reviving a ceasefire declaration for a specific period in order to resume the search for political solutions”.
Last month, the US, France, and other states called for a 21-day truce between Israel and Hezbollah.
Israel and Hezbollah Trade Fire
The Israeli military said today that air strikes overnight and the day before targeted weapons storage facilities in Beirut’s southern suburbs and southern Lebanon, where it said Hezbollah infrastructure was struck.
Smoke rose over Beirut this morning after airstrikes on the Hezbollah-controlled southern suburbs.
Fears of Wider Conflict Spreading
Conflict has spread around the region since the Oct 7, 2023 attack on Israel, drawing in Iraqi, Yemeni, and Lebanese groups and fuelling fears of an even bigger war.
Frequently Asked Questions
* What is the current situation in Lebanon and Israel?
The situation remains tense as Israel continues its military operation in southern Lebanon, and the death toll is mounting.
* What is the role of the US and France in resolving the conflict?
The US and France are engaged in diplomatic efforts to revive a ceasefire, but Israel has rejected previous truce proposals.
* What is the impact of the conflict on civilians?
Thousands of people have been displaced, and the humanitarian situation is dire.
* What is the ultimate goal of Israel’s military operation?
Israel aims to secure the return home of tens of thousands of Israelis who evacuated northern Israel due to cross-border rockets launched by Hezbollah.